Friday, February 26, 2010

U.S. Space and Rocket Center

My U.S. Space & Rocket Center Experience
by: guest blogger - Jennifer Kornegay

“To infinity and beyond!”
This phrase, the rallying cry of Buzz Lightyear from the movie “Toy Story,” is what kept reverberating in my head as I toured the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville recently. I kind of hate to admit that a line from an animated movie was the first on scene in my mind…not “a few small steps for mankind…” from Neil Armstrong, or “we choose to go the moon…” from the speech Kennedy made when promoting the idea of space exploration.

But as I walked around and marveled at the size and scope of the exhibits, I felt a little less guilty. After all, infinity is a concept that, at least for the average guy or gal (and I certainly fall into that category) stands for “just too much to grasp.” The Space and Rocket center is almost too much to take in.

I was blown away (pun intended) by the massive Saturn V rocket that’s suspended in all its massive glory from the ceiling in the Rocket Center’s newest facility, the Davidson Center for Space Exploration. The Saturn V launched Apollo 11 and the subsequent Apollo missions.

A simulator gives you an idea of the force (and noise!) exerted by a rocket so large. All I could think about was how scared I would be to have that much rocket fuel firing up below me if I were an astronaut. I guess that is just one of the many, many reasons I am not an astronaut.

I was equally impressed by the people in Huntsville who’ve made the U.S. Space program what it is. The Center does a great job detailing the history of the “space race” and spotlighting the integral role Huntsville played. Thanks to the innovation at Redstone Arsenal and NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in the city, Huntsville went from being the Watercress Capital of the World to earning the name “Rocket City and now boasts more Ph.D.’s per capita than anywhere else in the country. Pretty cool, huh?

The Center’s interactive exhibits were covered up with kids. All ages were having a blast (sorry, can’t resist) participating in activities that taught about gimble, G-forces and other laws of physics that make my head hurt when I think about them too long.

Exploring a replica of the International Space Station will give you a new level of respect for astronauts and the “special” living conditions they endure in the name of science. How anyone does anything in such cramped quarters is beyond me.

I could go on…but I won’t. I hope I’ve piqued your curiosity. Now maybe you’ll take the next free weekend you’ve got and check out the U.S. Space and Rocket Center for yourself.

No comments: